Thursday, August 25, 2011

Chapter 6: Realization Sets in

As night fell on us we decided to take turns sleeping, although neither of us could sleep much. We were both worried about what we had seen, worried about our friends and family, and worried about what would come.

"What are we going to do?" I kept asking myself. We couldn't stay in one place too long. We have to keep moving... I thought as I dosed off.

My eyes opened. It was daylight. I had fallen asleep . Cursing myself, I glanced around the room looking for Adam. He was sitting in front of the tv when I found him.

"Are you alright?" I asked coming closer into the living room. Silence. "Dude, are you alright?" Nothing. I made my way closer to him, barely able to make out a low grunt. "Oh shit, Adam has been turned into a zombie," I tried to keep my composure. "ADAM!" His head popped up and he was drooling. He'd fallen asleep. "Come on. We need to get out of here." Adam nodded and got up. We attempted to prepare ourselves for whatever we were about to see. I readied my bat, resting it on my shoulder and feeling the cold metal on my neck, put my hand on the door knob and opened. We began our short trek to the trusted vehicle.

"What should we do?" Adam asked me through a yawn.

"I don't know. Part of me wants to go back to town and part of me wants to just kill myself now and be done with it." We reached the car and climbed in. "Our friends and family are there, Adam. We've got to help them. If we just stay here and do nothing they'll die!"

"Do I believe what I'm hearing?!" Adam interrupted. "If we leave here and go back we'll die. You know that."

Silence.

"I just don't want to think we didn't at least try to save them." I sounded stupid. I was no hero.

"Jared, just stop man. This wasn't part of our plan. We have to look out for ourselves now."

Silence again.... and then, we heard it.

"What was tha..." Adam began.

"Shh!" I looked around searching for the source. "I'm getting out." I reached for the handle and slowly walked away from the car. There it was again. "What is that noise? Where is it coming from?"

Again, this time it was louder and more discernable.

A scream.

No comments:

Post a Comment