Thursday, August 25, 2011

Chapter 8: Bacon

We ended up staying another night in the cabin because we didn't want to risk running into any of the zombies. After talking more to our guest we discovered her name was Jade. She was about average height and weight, and she was blonde. She told us that she was a student at the local college in our town, and that was all. She was still exhausted from running and seemed to be in shock. As night fell, Jade passed out in one of the bedrooms in our cabin, and Adam and I had a talk that I wanted to avoid.

"She can't stay with us."

"We can't just abandon her. She needs our help, dude. I'm not going to leave her behind." I got up and began to walk away. "I'm going to bed."

"Don't let her looks fool you, Jared. I know you may like her, but I don't trust her."

"Goodnight Adam."

Morning

I awoke the next morning, hungry. I got out of bed and checked around the inside of the house to be sure everything was alright. Adam was asleep on the couch and Jade was asleep in the other bedroom. Seeing that everything was in order, I walked into the kitchen to cure my hunger. It was quiet. My stomach began to rumble. Food. I opened the refrigerator looking for something to eat. That's when I saw it.... The most delicious food. "Bacon!" I said to myself. "Hmm... what else?" I found some eggs and started cooking breakfast.

After the food was cooked, I started cleaning up and washing some of pans I had used. I looked out the window to see that it was a beautiful day. The sun was shining and there wasn't a cloud in the sky. It was so beautiful I almost ignored the fact that there were three zombies in the field.

And then I saw them. "Oh shit." My heart began to race. I scrambled around looking for my baseball bat. I ran into the living room to the sleeping Adam. "Adam, get up. We've got a problem." Adam shot up off the couch. "Grab your rifle and let's take care of them."

He began sniffing. "Do I smell bacon?"

"Yes, I made some. That's not important, right now. We need to get out there. Do you know where my bat is?"

"Uhhh, I think you left it in your car." Adam grabbed his rile and began to walk to the door. "How many are there?"

"Three. They're in the front." I began frantically looking around the living room for a replacement weapon as Adam walked out the door. Finally, I found my Uncle's fraternity paddles mounted on the wall. "Thank you, God." I ran out the door and slammed it shut. Adam was beginning to take aim on the closest one. This was his first zombie kill and I was so proud. He fired the gun.

The back of the zombie's head exploded as the bullet exited its skull. "Haha! Headshot!" Adam was beeming. He was a natural. He fired again. The second zombie stood there for a moment, and then dropped to the ground. "Double kill" he attempted to mimic the voice from Halo. Just one more now. I stood on the porch watching and waiting for the shot. "Crap!"

"What is it?"

"Gun is jammed. You're gonna have to take this one out."

I started walking off the porch towards the zombie.

"Be careful." Jade had woken up from the gun shots and come outside.

"I'll be fine. This will only take a second."

I tightened my grip on the paddle and headed for the zombie.

My stomach rumbled.

"Man, I can't wait to eat that bacon."

No comments:

Post a Comment