Thursday, August 25, 2011

Chapter 15: Open my Eyes

I opened my eyes... I was lying on my back staring in the orange sky. The sun was setting. My mouth was dry and my body felt stiff, I tried to rise to my feet, but I was too tired to move.

"Where am I?" I thought. "How did I get here..." I managed to find the strength to sit up. Looking around the field, I saw that there were dozens of bodies all around me, I couldn't tell if they were alive or dead, and there was also a large yellow machine was crashed into a tree behind me. I sat there for what seemed like an eternity until my stomach began to ache. There was a house not too far in front of me. I decided I would head that way in search of food, but with my stiff legs and arms I had a difficult time getting to my feet; finally, I was successful and began my trek. As I slowly shuffled to the front porch of the house, the stiffness in my arms and legs began to loosen up. I was almost walking normally or what I thought to be normal.

I reached the porch and placed my hand on the cold, brass knob. The door opened up to a dark, silent room. My stomach began to grumble cutting through the silence like a knife. I continued to walk inside the house, tripping over some boxes and knocking over a small table.

A voice shot out through the darkness. "Who's there?"

I nearly jumped out of my skin.

"Hello?" the voice called again again, this time it was closer. A light came on in the hallway in front of me and footsteps followed shortly after. I began to walk through the now barely lit living room towards the hallway. A face and the barrel of a pistol met my gaze as I reached the doorway to the hall.

"Jared? Is that you? You look like shit." He said lowering his gun.

I just stared into his eyes. Speechless.

"Jared," he said this name again. "Jared, you better say something or I am going to shoot you."

I tried to speak, but the words would not come.

"JARED! I'm sorry..." He raised his gun again and aimed it at my head.

"Hu... hun...hungry." I managed to whisper before the hammer crashed into the bullet. This man in front of me sighed in relief

"Thank God! Come on, let's get you something to eat."

No comments:

Post a Comment